Bioelectrochemical systems for soil and groundwater remediation
Looking for: Partner(s) - Coordinator
- Companies with experience in bioelectrochemical systems. Role: study the feasibility of scaling the new developed technology
- Research institutions with experience in bioelectrochemical systems for soil and groundwater remediation to develop and optimize at lab scale the new technology
- Chinese partner, both academic or company. Role: develop and implement the new technology
- Environmental administration dealing with contaminated soil and groundwater
Croatia - Czech Republic - Slovenia
The project will develop new technology for the treatment of industrially contaminated sites focusing on groundwater and soil remediation. The new technology will be based on the bioelectrochemical systems (BES) or microbial electrochemical technologies (MET) in which microorganisms catalyse oxidation or reduction reactions using solid-state electrodes, suitably deployed in the contaminated matrix, as virtually inexhaustible electron acceptors or donors, respectively. The project will develop and optimize at lab scale such systems focusing on specific industrial contaminants such as chlorinated hydrocarbons and hydrocarbons. The main goal will be to minimize the consumption of energy and chemicals compared to the traditional remediation techniques (biological remediation, physicochemical remediation). The project will include an assessment of the feasibility of scaling up the technology under the technical, environmental and economic point of view.
- Development of a technology with demonstrated feasibility for scaling up
- Develop a technology suitable for a variety of contaminants and groundwater composition
- Develop a technology with demonstrated benefits over standard remediation technologies, including energy efficiency, remediation time efficiency and easy operation.
Previous EU experience:
InSiTrate: In situ bioremediation of nitrates from groundwater for drinking water production.
SmartStripping: Stripping of chlorinated compounds from groundwater using a specific circulation well.
Nanorem: Nanotechnology applied to groundwater remediation.
Aquarehab: Remediation of multi degraded waters
Soil Take Care: Remediation of contaminated soil